Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hurricanes and Dime Boxes


Yesterday was sort of a tough one as me and the kids were bracing for Hurricane Sandy. Both my kids have a cold and my youngest son hurt his ankle pretty good in one of his many "superman" attempts at jumping off the couch.

To be honest, even seeing the predicted trajectory of the hurricane, which assured us that we would be in the center of it within a couple hours, I didn't think too much of it because usually by the time it hits the part of New York that I'm in, the storm is usually of the "Tropical Storm" status.

Upon waking up today I realized that we got lucky and the hurricane shifted paths and went more westward than previously thought. Not so lucky for the 8 million without power and the victims of storm surge flooding and other damage that will take months to recover.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those suffering due to Hurricane Sandy.

On a lighter and more cardboard related note, I received a very awesome package in the mail, in which I've aptly dubbed "Hurricane Nick". Too soon? Maybe, but "Hurricane Nick" brings forth great things in a multitude and diverse bunch of cards that I completely appreciate and thank you Nick from Dime-Boxes, yet again for another epic experience in the hobby.

See, I knew that he was sending over a bunch of sets needs from 2011 and 2012, but what I didn't know is that they weren't going to make up the majority of the package.

Oh yes I received a bunch of special cards. Very special indeed. I have not seen in person any of the cards Nick sent my way, so you can imagine the expression on my face when I started pawing through the many sleeves containing not only Mets cards but also some great gems from my player collection, not to mention a few vintage.


1967 Topps Chuck Hiller #198

I feel extremely lucky to have gotten these fine pieces of vintage. It's pretty rare for me to come across these, let alone guys wearing a Mets uniform. I really hope someone opens up a card shop some day soon, or at least have a card show around here so I can find some of these great pieces for myself. I know I could hit up ebay all day long, but it's just not the same I tell you.


1971 Topps Art Shamsky #445

I'm loving the photo on the Shamsky. He appears to be stepping out of the way of a pitch thrown up and in. If I were to start a list of "Masterpieces" this 71 Topps issue would almost assuredly make the cut.




1977 Topps Carlton Fisk #640

You know how many Fisk cards I have total? Just 5 including this one. This one happens to be the best one so far and it's funny how it sits next to a 2011 Topps Diamond Fisk SP. Looks a little odd but that's one of the things I love about my collection.


2003 Fleer "Fall Classic" Reggie Jackson #71

I'm up to 11 different Reggie Jackson's now thanks to the few that was in with the bundle. I think I favor the above Fleer issue the most and is another reason that I wish I had never left the card world. I love everything about it and mostly how the actual photo of Reggie sort of looks like a sticker in some way. Great stuff.



2002 Fleer "Fall Classic" Johnny Bench #74

When it comes to sending me things, Nick knows exactly what would interest me the most. My collection shines much brighter and feels a lot more rounded after something from him comes my way.

The problem that I've encountered and have been trying to rack my brains over, is what exactly to send back his way. I've spent a lot of time on his want/need lists and I know who and what he collects for the most part.

But what do I have that he doesn't already? I haven't found the answer to that one just yet...but really in terms of "hobby years" I've only just begun, so I'm not going to sweat too much about it, because there's a lot of time for me to figure this thing out.


2003 Upper Deck SP Legendary Cuts Stan Musial #73

A lot of time is what Stan Musial had and the back of this card features his full 22 year stats. His numbers are completely outstanding and is why "The Man" is so legendary.

A big reason I love the stars of the game is because well, without them you don't have hero's like Musial or in my case Tom Seaver.




2001 Fleer Greats of the Game Tom Seaver #89

No, I'm not old enough to have witnessed Seaver in his playing days but I can assure you Youtube comes in handy for that one. Also, they play classic games on our regional sports network, SNY.

The majority of us has never seen Ruth play either yet we still love and admire him. Well, not all of us.


1998 Topps Gold Label Kenny Lofton #64

I don't know much about the Gold Label brand from Topps but I do know this Lofton is absolutely stunning. I find it to be a great work of art and it's a player I collected as a child too!


1999 Upper Deck MVP John Olerud #133

Lest we not forget John Olerud either. When I was growing up until I was about 16 we had a grand total of 3 or 4 channels and two of them were Canadian. I often watched Blue Jay games starring Olerud himself. When he was signed to the Mets, I was no longer able to see him in action, but was happy he landed in NY.


2001 Topps 1994 Reprint Terrence Long #33T

Another man that landed in New York as he was drafted by the Mets 1st round was Terrence Long. At first glance I thought this was an original, but then I noticed a little 50 year stamp on the left, promptly indicating that this was a reprint. I find it very cool that they actually reprinted a card like this. Is this one of those rare instances when the reprint is actually better than the original? In my case, it very much is.


2001 Topps Archives Tug McGraw #533 247 of  450

Another very well done reprint comes from the archives of Tug Mcgraw. I love how this reprint actually feels a lot older than it is. If it didn't have the gold stamp and gloss coating, I would easily have mistaken it for the real thing.


2003 Topps Total Pat Strange #828

At first I wasn't sure what Nick was talking about when he commends Topps Total. I now almost fully understand. I mean the card number alone is #828!!! Now that is what I call "Deep in the roster."

I also wanted to mention that I got a smirk on my face when I unearthed this "Strange" card.

This past week I was thumbing through my collection to see if any cards jumped out at me. Well as it turns out I started noticing some cards that seem to have an unusual glove size.

By that I mean, the glove is closer to the camera, making it appear much larger in the photo.

I set aside three cards from my collection that have this quirky feature and now I get to add a fourth, "Strangely" enough.



So there you have it...A sampling from the many treasures Nick managed to find for me.

I am already forever grateful for everything he has done for me and I don't just say it, I mean it true and true.

Nick will find some cards in his mailbox someday from Mr. Raven, and can only promise that I won't disappoint.

Thanks again : )


















Share This!


1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the cards! The Hiller and Shamsky were "late additions" to the package, as I found them at the local flea market the day before I sent those cards your way. I had a feeling you'd like those.

    Good to hear that I got you into the Topps Total brand as well. Definitely one of the better releases of the last decade or so.

    Again, glad you liked everything! I'll be keeping an eye out for more Mets/others to send your way at the card show I'll be attending next month.

    ReplyDelete

The Card Raven Blog Guardians Protect This World From The Invasive Captcha Species...You may comment here as freely as you wish.

About Me

My Photo

Michael Chase is a student at Penn State World Campus, enrolled at the College of Information Sciences & Technology. Through his studies and relentless digital pursuits, he strives to be the ultimate technologist with a passion for connecting people and things to our binary world. 

You can find him around the web as a VLogger, Social Media Warrior, Card Collector and Technology Advocate. Connect with Michael on Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn, tumblr and YouTube.

He's a little weird but he probably thinks you are cool.


Subscribe For The Awesomest Reality Vlog Series Evar!



Michael Chase's Communities



Contributor to:



Back Story

Marred, 2 kids

My oldest son is a cancer and stroke survivor. He was treated by Vermont's Children's Hosipital and we couldn't have asked for a better outcome. The nurses, doctor's and staff showed the utmost caliber of professionalism. Their dedicated team was crucial to our son's recovery and survival. He has remained cancer free for over two years now.

Stemming from a 10 year bout with alcoholism, I am proud to say that I am now alcohol free for 4 years running!

And back in school and enrolled at Penn State's College of Information Sciences & Technology through World Campus

PASSIONS

Information Technology...I love anything computers and am a full blooded Computer Geek. I am trying to break back into the IT world by getting my Bachelor Of Science in Information Sciences and Technology through Penn State. Besides my family, this is my main focus.

My website:  www.techrave.net 

Vlogging...The word is dumb but the activity is life-changing. Follow my Geekneck vlog here:



Music... I have a big passion for music and I listen to most types of metal, hard rock, techno, trance, folk and much more...

I play guitar on a Schecter and play both acoustic and metal styles.

I also produce electronic music in FL Studio under a project called Mushraven that can be found here:     

                        
Card Collecting... The hobby has grown and changed in so many ways...I'm glad to be apart of it once again. I am the proud author of the blog listed in the link below.

Card Blog: cardraven.blogspot.com  

Sports...  I am a huge METS fan!

Mycology... I enjoy growing Shiitake mushrooms and take photographs of fungi in the wild. Some of my pictures can be viewed here on G+ in the albums section.

Picture Taking...I don't call myself a photographer because that would be insulting to real photographers. Actually, I just like taking pictures of scenery and various other things.

Along with that I also enjoy being outside tinkering around, fishing, landscaping, and spending time with my wife and kids.

Please visit the links section for more ways to connect with me!


Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates