Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Grizzlyless Christmas

I feel pretty cheery, but it's just not feeling like Christmas for some reason. We've decorated the house with some shimmering new lights as well as the tree of course. Everyone seems to be merry, including myself but something is just off.

Last year at this time, my son was in the hospital being treated for cancer among the many complications that arise with chemo therapy. I was with him, every step of the way. We had a pretty good Christmas, even though we were about three hours away from home. The staff were the most noble and fun group of healthcare professionals I've ever dealt with in my life and they got him through it.

What is wrong this year then? Well, nothing at all really. It's been a peaceful time in our family's life. A time that makes me a little nervous because things seem to be going a little too well.


But probably, what really is going on is the fact that I quit using chewing tobacco on December 15th, 2012. I've been a dipper since I was 13 years old and pretty much stemmed from being a youth playing baseball.




Manny Ramirez "Redman"


Yep....chew and baseball go extremely well together, apparently. But apparently it was going to end up killing me as I was informed by dentist to quit immediately. I've chewed can after can, log after log for many 
years. 



Nick Swisher the Little Dipper



So I have quit, and now here I sit....In a daze, in a fog. 





Pablo Sandoval The Big Dipper



It gets a lot better from here on out, they say. And well, I believe THEY because chewing tobacco is absolute poison to the body as well as being extremely addictive. I am very happy and proud that I finally quit.




Mark Reynolds "Super Can"





Still in a fog though...



Ibanez...Obvious Chewer is Obvious





On a more boardcard related note, I was pretty happy to see that Nick from Dime Boxes was pleased with the package I sent him.

I was a little worried about that because I figured I would fail miserably and hand him a bunch of cards that he either already had, or didn't want.

I guess I did alright, after all.

After reading Nick's post from last night, something pretty cool happened as I finally felt that epic camaraderie feeling that I've heard so much about around these parts. I finally feel like I belong around here, and having that "your in" feeling is something I haven't had in quite sometime.

An unspoken acceptance, as I lied weary eyed and ever so awake around 12:30-1:00ish.

I also found out that I feel far better when I send a package rather than receive one. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love getting packages in the mail, but something even more special happens when your recipient is joyed and grateful of your deed.

That's part of what Christmas is about, after all.

So Merry Christmas to all who is reading. I can't say for sure if I will get a new post in by the New Year, but I can assure you...

2013 is the year of the Chase!

Michael Chase that is.

No, not really I'm just over abusing the pun of the theme of Topps 2013 Baseball in relation to my last name.

Happy Hollidays!!!!! : )










Share This!


2 comments:

  1. Happy holidays to you as well, Michael! And congrats on breaking your "chewing" habit!

    Glad you enjoyed my write-up.

    Like you, I've gotten just as much satisfaction out of sending a package than receiving one during my time here. Before becoming a blogger, I never thought that would've been possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Holidays to you and your family Michael, congratulations on kicking the habit too!

    ReplyDelete

The Card Raven Blog Guardians Protect This World From The Invasive Captcha Species...You may comment here as freely as you wish.

About Me

My Photo

Michael Chase is a student at Penn State World Campus, enrolled at the College of Information Sciences & Technology. Through his studies and relentless digital pursuits, he strives to be the ultimate technologist with a passion for connecting people and things to our binary world. 

You can find him around the web as a VLogger, Social Media Warrior, Card Collector and Technology Advocate. Connect with Michael on Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn, tumblr and YouTube.

He's a little weird but he probably thinks you are cool.


Subscribe For The Awesomest Reality Vlog Series Evar!



Michael Chase's Communities



Contributor to:



Back Story



My oldest son is a cancer and stroke survivor. He was treated by Vermont's Children's Hosipital and we couldn't have asked for a better outcome. The nurses, doctor's and staff showed the utmost caliber of professionalism. Their dedicated team was crucial to our son's recovery and survival. He has remained cancer free for over two years now.

Stemming from a 10 year bout with alcoholism, I am proud to say that I am now alcohol free for 4 years running!

And back in school and enrolled at Penn State's College of Information Sciences & Technology through World Campus

PASSIONS

Information Technology...I love anything computers and am a full blooded Computer Geek. I am trying to break back into the IT world by getting my Bachelor Of Science in Information Sciences and Technology through Penn State. Besides my family, this is my main focus.

My website:  www.techrave.net 

Vlogging...The word is dumb but the activity is life-changing. Follow my Geekneck vlog here:



Music... I have a big passion for music and I listen to most types of metal, hard rock, techno, trance, folk and much more...

I play guitar on a Schecter and play both acoustic and metal styles.

I also produce electronic music in FL Studio under a project called Mushraven that can be found here:     

                        
Card Collecting... The hobby has grown and changed in so many ways...I'm glad to be apart of it once again. I am the proud author of the blog listed in the link below.

Card Blog: cardraven.blogspot.com  

Sports...  I am a huge METS fan!

Mycology... I enjoy growing Shiitake mushrooms and take photographs of fungi in the wild. Some of my pictures can be viewed here on G+ in the albums section.

Picture Taking...I don't call myself a photographer because that would be insulting to real photographers. Actually, I just like taking pictures of scenery and various other things.

Along with that I also enjoy being outside tinkering around, fishing, landscaping, and spending time with my wife and kids.

Please visit the links section for more ways to connect with me!


Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates