Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Holiday Harvest ... It is Good.





It's a great day to be a card collector/blogger ladies and gentlemen! I hope everyone had a great Christmas whether you got cardboard related presents or not.

I just so happened to get a few cardboard related presents. One came in the mail, another from my wife and another from my mother-in-law. SWEET!

Today's post is about my extremely surprising stocking stuffer. You see the image above? Well, all those various packs were stuffed into my stocking, much to my delight.

Don't ask me where she found them all. I'm guessing some kind of repack box. A very very FUN repack box.



As you can imagine, I had a real blast opening all the packs. Not only was the pack ripping a nice little euphoric endeavor, but I also got to experience some of the stuff I missed from years like 2005, 2007, 2008 and so on and so forth.

2008 Upper Deck Artifacts is just simply awesome. Where have these been all my life? I didn't get any Mets  from the Artifacts but was not disappointed never-the-less.




I suppose normally I wouldn't be a fan of extreme borders and design like this on a base card anyway, but for some reason all the gray and silver just work, as it makes the actual player seem more bold....or something like that.





It looks like Panini's Golden Age Baseball is going to be a big hit with collectors. The Mojo Beard wrote up a nice piece on the subject that is definitely worth checking out.

I find Artifacts and Golden Age have a few parallels with each other. You know what I'm talking about.






Or wait, was it Ginter it's trying to be like? Doesn't matter, I'm still basking in these Artifacts from 5 years ago.







Ok, looks like we've made a left turn in Albuquerque, err uhh I mean Minnesota. Ok I'm really lost now. Seems as though Copper is rarer than Gold around these parts!

This 2010 parallel is 317/399, but it's not gold at all apparently. It is indeed copper! Huh...this is a strange place.



I also didn't know serial numbered blue border cards existed either. I find these Opening Day cards to be quite fascinating. Parallel? Check. No-foil? Check. Foil? Check. Serial Numbered? Check. Serial Numbered in Foil? Checkaroo!!!!

So the serial numbering on the backs of Opening Day issues from 2012 are in foil and look a hundred times better than in 2012 flagship (You know, the crappy black numbering that you can't even read). Less foil, but more foil. Hey, I don't make this stuff up.

Cool card though : )



Another parallel, of the shiny type this time. No numbering needed here. It's got plenty of shimmer. Mmmmmmmmmmmmiissster..................Graaaann        der           son..... wait for it..... Gran der son. (In the words of Mr. Anderson from Impact Wrestling for those who dunno)








I knew I would hit gold eventually. I am THEE sucker for gold parallels. It makes Topps happy, what can I say?

I'm still not happy about the Dickey trade to Toronto. I stand firmly by my fan reaction called The Mets and the Beanstalk. Until I see a positive outcome of the trade, I will remain an unhappy Mets fan. Too many people on board the "It was a good trade," train.

No, it wasn't a good trade. At least, not yet.  It was a gamble. Some people know the fact... you don't trade away your Cy Young Award winner no matter if he's a hundred years old. 

He was loyal to the team, to NY and to his fans.

It's like trying to tell me that trading Seaver all those years ago was a good idea. You may be right or you may be wrong, but it's still going to bother me (a little).

Just my opinion and I don't take anything away from the guys the Mets acquired like D'arnaud and Buck, but until they make a positive impact, I really don't care. I'm a NEW YORK fan.






Speaking of which, that brings to my attention the contrasting seasons of one R.A. Dickey and one Johan Santana.

One pitched the first ever no-hitter in Mets history and the other won the Cy Young Award. The rest of Santana's season wasn't quite as pretty as Dickey's but I think it was just a warm up after his first season coming off from surgery.






With Dickey gone, I hope Santana can return to form somehow. A very nice couple of cards from the Archives pack I got. It was a strange pack as I also got a Pujols, Cabrera, Posey and Moore along with Dickey and Santana

Along with this next one too!







Well, that didn't scan right now did it? It's a Carl Yastrzemski No. 69DE-11 and it's suppose to have perforate edges. The proper thing to do is rescan it. Not happening though. I would like to get this post out  sometime today.


Sorry, my mood while blogging has not been of the highest caliber as of late. Not, too bad though. You see when I get a bunch of new cards, my first reaction is to start organizing and putting them where they should be. Things just ain't right until that's done.


Sometimes it really frustrates me because I know I've got some great blog material in front of me, so the cards sit out on my desk until ready to be scanned. 

                                              



Note to blogoshere: When my cards are not organized properly, it irks me just a bit until the cards have found their homes.

Maybe thats a quirk that many of you have as well. Or perhaps not. Either way, I guess I wouldn't mind if I had scads of cards laying around but I have a two and three year old romping around the house that would have my cards destroyed in a heartbeat, if not taken care of promptly.




Everth, seems to have a pretty tidy dugout. This dugout would get my approval except for...Hey I see a couple pieces of garbage under the benches.... That irks me. Please do better at tidying up, Mr. Cabrera.




Clean up more like Miguel. He does a pretty good job of keeping the bases nice and tidy.

I Like that.






My first experience really with 2012 Opening Day. I like the inserts I must say. I don't really care for Mr. Castro and yet I still collect him. Might have to change that.






I do like Joe Mauer however. Not my favorite by any means, but perhaps could make it in a top ten list of mine. I don't really make lists, but if I did, Joe would be on one.

Here's why I like Opening Day.... THE SCANTILY CLAD USE OF FOIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's right, no more foil from here on out!!!







BAM!





WHAM!








CLANK! Ooops, that one fell out again. Excuse Me.







YAAAYYY Jose!


Wait, what's that? You play for Toronto now too?

Well, I hope the Toronto Mets have a great season in 2013!


Carry on now. You've have better, more interesting blogs to read.







Happy Holidays Everyone! I've got more Harvest to show, maybe I'll make it in by the New Year. Thanks for reading as always : )



Ta Ta For Now!











Share This!


1 comment:

  1. That's a whole bunch of Christmas Stocking goodness. Very nice!!

    ReplyDelete

The Card Raven Blog Guardians Protect This World From The Invasive Captcha Species...You may comment here as freely as you wish.

About Me

My Photo

Michael Chase is a student at Penn State World Campus, enrolled at the College of Information Sciences & Technology. Through his studies and relentless digital pursuits, he strives to be the ultimate technologist with a passion for connecting people and things to our binary world. 

You can find him around the web as a VLogger, Social Media Warrior, Card Collector and Technology Advocate. Connect with Michael on Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn, tumblr and YouTube.

He's a little weird but he probably thinks you are cool.


Subscribe For The Awesomest Reality Vlog Series Evar!



Michael Chase's Communities



Contributor to:



Back Story

Marred, 2 kids

My oldest son is a cancer and stroke survivor. He was treated by Vermont's Children's Hosipital and we couldn't have asked for a better outcome. The nurses, doctor's and staff showed the utmost caliber of professionalism. Their dedicated team was crucial to our son's recovery and survival. He has remained cancer free for over two years now.

Stemming from a 10 year bout with alcoholism, I am proud to say that I am now alcohol free for 4 years running!

And back in school and enrolled at Penn State's College of Information Sciences & Technology through World Campus

PASSIONS

Information Technology...I love anything computers and am a full blooded Computer Geek. I am trying to break back into the IT world by getting my Bachelor Of Science in Information Sciences and Technology through Penn State. Besides my family, this is my main focus.

My website:  www.techrave.net 

Vlogging...The word is dumb but the activity is life-changing. Follow my Geekneck vlog here:



Music... I have a big passion for music and I listen to most types of metal, hard rock, techno, trance, folk and much more...

I play guitar on a Schecter and play both acoustic and metal styles.

I also produce electronic music in FL Studio under a project called Mushraven that can be found here:     

                        
Card Collecting... The hobby has grown and changed in so many ways...I'm glad to be apart of it once again. I am the proud author of the blog listed in the link below.

Card Blog: cardraven.blogspot.com  

Sports...  I am a huge METS fan!

Mycology... I enjoy growing Shiitake mushrooms and take photographs of fungi in the wild. Some of my pictures can be viewed here on G+ in the albums section.

Picture Taking...I don't call myself a photographer because that would be insulting to real photographers. Actually, I just like taking pictures of scenery and various other things.

Along with that I also enjoy being outside tinkering around, fishing, landscaping, and spending time with my wife and kids.

Please visit the links section for more ways to connect with me!


Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates