Friday, January 18, 2013

Card Shop Fail...Happy Endings Anyways

I feel like I get so far behind sometimes in the blogging world. I could very well have fired off a few posts this past week but I just have to keep a slow and steady pace.

Actually, my family just got back from a long trip as my oldest son gets cancer screening every 3 months.

Everything went great again and I even got to stop at the card shop on the way home! Apparently, the shop had recently changed ownership and I was informed by the new owner that they were cleaning up and revamping the entire store.

It looked fantastic in there, compared to previous times that I went. I don't know if it's a typical card shop thing, where the floors are lined with unopned wax from wall to wall and lighting a match would surly start a bonfire within a matter of seconds.

Sparkling as the store was, there were two giant boxes of packs marked %50 off. I kept going back and forth between that table and the current wax products until I surrendered most ashamedly...

"Can I get two packs of uhhh....uhhhh.... 2012 Ginter and one pack of 12-13 Threads?"

I explained to the new store owner in a previous conversation about how I was pretty sick of all the 2012 product and I was looking for something different.

Crap.

I failed.

It's not often that I get to go to a card shop and over pay for stuff that's been out all year long! Lets make the most of this!!!!

Ok, Ginter is a solid product and Threads are a nice offering..... BUT THEY WERE 5 DOLLARS A PACK.

I blew it.

With the exception of maybe one pack entitled "Donruss Leather And Lumber" with a $7 price tag on it that I did manage to snag from that half-off table. This would be my only chance at redemption as my total came to $18.50.

My wife is going to kill me if I don't hit an auto or a relic. She's one of those who think I "got nothing" if there is no autograph. Her and I would be completely different types of collectors, if she were a collector at all.

Now, I've had some pretty nifty pulls at this card store. That is, back when it looked like a massively multi-player Jenga establishment.

Now that you can actually walk inside  the store, I probably won't have any luck at all.

Ready?


I'm not even going to embarrass myself further by showing the Ginter, but I did get a couple nice ones like a Mike Schmidt base and Ryne Sandberg "Highlight Sketches," as well as a Halladay "What's In A Name"

Ok, here they are anyways. I can't be that lazy can I?








So maybe I am secretly trying to put the 2012 Allen & Ginter set together. At least that's what I'm going to have to tell my self whenever I see these cards.











Not too shabby of a Threads product this year. Except for the fact that the pack was 5 bucks for 5 cards. I'm not sure why I thought I needed these. They just kind of remind me of an early 90's Upper Deck issue.












2005 Donruss Leather & Lumber as they saw off Pujols leg.










The prize of it all. This one kind of makes me feel like my other unjustified purchases were ok. I don't know how I feel about the design of this, but it's got a cool texture and is also numbered to 2000. It's Tony Gwynn too!



My next couple of posts will be in regards of trade package's among other things and not about failed card shopping attempts.




I'm happy all in all though. Sometimes that's just the way the wind blows. Nothing compares to my sons being healthy and happy.








Ta Ta, and Good Night : )
















Share This!


1 comment:

  1. Fail?! I've never seen that Gwynn. That alone...! ;)

    Ah, to rip packs... C'mone 30th!

    ReplyDelete

The Card Raven Blog Guardians Protect This World From The Invasive Captcha Species...You may comment here as freely as you wish.

About Me

My Photo

Michael Chase is a student at Penn State World Campus, enrolled at the College of Information Sciences & Technology. Through his studies and relentless digital pursuits, he strives to be the ultimate technologist with a passion for connecting people and things to our binary world. You can find him around the web as a VLogger, Social Media Warrior, Card Collector and Technology Advocate. Connect with Michael on Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn, tumblr and YouTube.

You can learn more about Information Sciences & Technology for the every person at my website:


And don't forget to subscribe to the TechRave YouTube Channel:



For my personal reality vlog series, please visit:



Michael Chase's Communities



Contributor to:



Back Story

Marred, 2 kids

My oldest son is a cancer and stroke survivor. He was treated by Vermont's Children's Hosipital and we couldn't have asked for a better outcome. The nurses, doctor's and staff showed the utmost caliber of professionalism. Their dedicated team was crucial to our son's recovery and survival. He has remained cancer free for over two years now.

Stemming from a 10 year bout with alcoholism, I am proud to say that I am now alcohol free for 4 years running!

And back in school and enrolled at Penn State's College of Information Sciences & Technology through World Campus

PASSIONS

Information Technology...I love anything computers and am a full blooded Computer Geek. I am trying to break back into the IT world by getting my Bachelor Of Science in Information Sciences and Technology through Penn State. Besides my family, this is my main focus.

My website:  www.techrave.net 

Vlogging...The word is dumb but the activity is life-changing. Follow my Geekneck vlog here:



Music... I have a big passion for music and I listen to most types of metal, hard rock, techno, trance, folk and much more...

I play guitar on a Schecter and play both acoustic and metal styles.

I also produce electronic music in FL Studio under a project called Mushraven that can be found here:     

                        
Card Collecting... The hobby has grown and changed in so many ways...I'm glad to be apart of it once again. I am the proud author of the blog listed in the link below.

Card Blog: cardraven.blogspot.com  

Sports...  I am a huge METS fan!

Mycology... I enjoy growing Shiitake mushrooms and take photographs of fungi in the wild. Some of my pictures can be viewed here on G+ in the albums section.

Picture Taking...I don't call myself a photographer because that would be insulting to real photographers. Actually, I just like taking pictures of scenery and various other things.

Along with that I also enjoy being outside tinkering around, fishing, landscaping, and spending time with my wife and kids.

Please visit the links section for more ways to connect with me!


Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates