Sunday, February 3, 2013

2013 Topps : For The Love Of Cards





For the sake of this post, I'm going to pretend that I haven't read any other 2013 Topps material. I'm also going to be writing to a "ghost" audience and type as if I were talking to people that might stumble upon 2013 Topps Baseball for the first time or may be on the fence about whether or not, to return to the hobby or join the hobby for the first time ever.

I'm not going to do any history lessons or catching up. We're just talking about today, right now. 2013 Topps Baseball Series 1 has most of the answers as to why I love collecting baseball cards.

These cards came from 2 rack boxes on Walmart shelves.

You see the card at the top? It is known as an insert card. You may remember these from such decades as the 1990s and the 2000s. They come in all shapes, sizes, varieties, colors and rarities. I have a particular fondness of inserts as I was a child growing up in the 90's and weird, whacky, colorful inserts were all the rage.

That may be a little too complex for starting out though. For example the above card is quite a bit more than an insert. It's also a gold foil parallel and it's design elements appear to borrow from both Bowman Platinum and Topps 5 Star.




More appropriate for a beginner in my opinion is the base card. The base card for some is a complete waste of time and money as they don't really carry much monetary value unless it's of the vintage variety. 

And for others they are the be all end all of this hobby. Lower end collectors and set-builders in particular have a strong affinity towards the humble base card.

The base card set in 2013 Topps is astounding. With excellent photography and a simple yet colorful design, Topps really hit a homerun. When I think of the current year and what a baseball card should look like, this is absolutely it.



When I said "astounding," I really meant it. From the time I returned to the hobby in 2010 until now there hasn't been a better base card design, in my opinion, than this years.








Topps has also included many photos featuring throwback uniform's that adds a very elegant touch. Mets fans can certainly rejoice as their orange, blue and white cards look simply amazing.





Like the first card I mentioned as being a parallel, this Scott Hairston is a parallel as well. It's a Walmart exclusive and you can only find these in packs and boxes that are on the shelves of the retail giant.

I am a collector that loves parallels.

First they are a genius move on the part of Topps, as player collector's often chase any and all cards of their favorite player. The appeal to me however is in the card itself. A simple background or border change can drastically alter the way the card makes me feel. And yes, cards do make you feel things.




Dodger cards look very nice in the powder-bluish border as well and would assume Royals, Cubs, Blu Jays and any other blue team would look nice as well.




Speaking of parallels, you may also find a few of these on your 2013 Topps journey. If you were a collector last year you may have came across something similar to the Wainwright you see here.




In person, these parallels look fantastic. That beautiful emerald color makes you wonder if you would rather collect stone gems instead of card gems. It shimmers. It shines. I wan't more. They are not the easiest to pull but opening a couple blaster boxes will net you a couple at least.




Back to the inserts again, Topps included another great looking and great feeling insert called "Calling Cards." It has a "Ye Olde Timey" saloon type feeling, which is just awesome. Also, the backs have no gloss which gives it a very nice touch.




Did I mention that I love baseball cards? Well I really do and Topps keeps doing a great job in my opinion at putting out quality material for young and old. If you're looking to start a hobby, then look no further. I have a few other hobbies but none are as rewarding as this one.




You get "stars" young and old too! You know stars, the ones that sell tickets and put butts in seats! The ones that everyone comes to see. The ones that end up in the Hall of Fame! The ones that keep the game of baseball popular.



Does this design look familiar? You're right, it was back in 1972. Are you feeling the nostalgia yet? I'm not, but I would if I were alive during that time. Still, a nice gesture to include in a modern set.



So if you're a guy that stopped collecting Griffey when he signed with the Reds, don't worry you can still find plenty of "Old School" Griffey in modern sets.




And Gehrigs...







And Gwynn's...




And Robinson's....




And your current stars like Kemp....






Arod...




Longoria...










Alright, that's enough. Just go buy some. See for yourself. Jump right in, you won't be disappointed.

If you go out and buy a pack today than I say:





"Today is the first day of the rest of your life"



Seize The Day!































Share This!


8 comments:

  1. That '72 Clemente mini is awesome. I hope I pull it from a pack of 2013 Topps one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely my favorite pull so far. If I find an extra one I will send it your way for sure, if someone else doesn't beat me to it!

      Delete
  2. Well said, Michael.

    I'll agree with Nick, here. That '75 mini of Clemente is a gem. I keep getting Adam Joneses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! I kept getting the Joneses in last years 87 minis! LOL

      Delete
  3. Are those Chasing History cards all gold parallels, or is that just how they came out in the scan? (I've pulled just regular silver and the white foil kind).

    And you didn't pull a Kemp. That's Hanley Ramirez.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what's funny? I actually kept thinking I pulled the Kemp for myself after reading your initial post about 2013 Topps.

      I kept looking for it over and over, until I realized defeat and as you point out made the mistake again on the blog! Thanks for pointing that out! It shows that someone is actually reading my stuff haha : )

      I believe they are gold foil parallels, at least that is their actual color. I got the Griffey and a Thome in the silver foil. They shine and refract exactly like last years Bowman Platinum as well.

      Delete
  4. I've got a Mets base and insert card already set aside for you, perhaps we can orchestrate a Red Sox/Mets 2013 Topps swap? Also, I have a small pile of cards to send you regardless that I've been building up over time, I'll try to send it out this week. Are the Mets cards you showed in this post the only 2013 Topps Mets you have so far? Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to do a swaparoo! I have Daniel Nava, Dustin Pedroia, Vicente Padilla and Jarrod Saltalamacchia for Red Sox base so far along with the Ortiz shown in the post. They are all yours and I'll be setting aside future Red Sox stuff for you too.

    Yes, I showed off all the Mets that I landed in the two boxes. I plan on opening a lot of this years product so hopefully between the two of us we can get each others team needs anyways!

    Thank you : )

    ReplyDelete

The Card Raven Blog Guardians Protect This World From The Invasive Captcha Species...You may comment here as freely as you wish.

About Me

My Photo

Michael Chase is a student at Penn State World Campus, enrolled at the College of Information Sciences & Technology. Through his studies and relentless digital pursuits, he strives to be the ultimate technologist with a passion for connecting people and things to our binary world. 

You can find him around the web as a VLogger, Social Media Warrior, Card Collector and Technology Advocate. Connect with Michael on Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn, tumblr and YouTube.

He's a little weird but he probably thinks you are cool.


Subscribe For The Awesomest Reality Vlog Series Evar!



Michael Chase's Communities



Contributor to:



Back Story

Marred, 2 kids

My oldest son is a cancer and stroke survivor. He was treated by Vermont's Children's Hosipital and we couldn't have asked for a better outcome. The nurses, doctor's and staff showed the utmost caliber of professionalism. Their dedicated team was crucial to our son's recovery and survival. He has remained cancer free for over two years now.

Stemming from a 10 year bout with alcoholism, I am proud to say that I am now alcohol free for 4 years running!

And back in school and enrolled at Penn State's College of Information Sciences & Technology through World Campus

PASSIONS

Information Technology...I love anything computers and am a full blooded Computer Geek. I am trying to break back into the IT world by getting my Bachelor Of Science in Information Sciences and Technology through Penn State. Besides my family, this is my main focus.

My website:  www.techrave.net 

Vlogging...The word is dumb but the activity is life-changing. Follow my Geekneck vlog here:



Music... I have a big passion for music and I listen to most types of metal, hard rock, techno, trance, folk and much more...

I play guitar on a Schecter and play both acoustic and metal styles.

I also produce electronic music in FL Studio under a project called Mushraven that can be found here:     

                        
Card Collecting... The hobby has grown and changed in so many ways...I'm glad to be apart of it once again. I am the proud author of the blog listed in the link below.

Card Blog: cardraven.blogspot.com  

Sports...  I am a huge METS fan!

Mycology... I enjoy growing Shiitake mushrooms and take photographs of fungi in the wild. Some of my pictures can be viewed here on G+ in the albums section.

Picture Taking...I don't call myself a photographer because that would be insulting to real photographers. Actually, I just like taking pictures of scenery and various other things.

Along with that I also enjoy being outside tinkering around, fishing, landscaping, and spending time with my wife and kids.

Please visit the links section for more ways to connect with me!


Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates